A key criterion used fro assessing a microphone is its ability to transmit sounds. There are many kinds of microphones and you need to know a variety of knowledge in order to purchase a good one. Sometimes there are some small problems, such as noise or inability to connect, to be solved in time, otherwise it will affect normal use. So how to choose a microphone? How to connect the microphone to the device? How to deal with the noise of microphone? Here we will take you to understand the purchase of microphone and its use and breakdown maintenance.
① Categories of microphone
Classified by working principle
Moving-coil microphone: used in non-professional occasions, simple structure, durable, low price.
Condenser microphone: mostly used in the area of professional recording, very sensitive.
Ribbon Microphone: warm and retro sound, fast and accurate transient response. expensive and easy to break, rare at present.
Classified by use
Built-in Microphone: installed inside the digital video camera, used for shooting and recording.
Professional microphones: include microphones for performances, conference microphones, and microphones for recording in terms of function.
Wireless microphones: with one kind being moving-coil microphone, good sound quality and a high price; another kind being electret microphone, durable but low sensitivity.
Condenser microphone: ability to reproduce the original sound, a super high sensitivity.
② Microphone purchase
Buy microphones by occasions
In order to buy a suitable microphone, first of all, you need to be clear about your purchase purpose. There are all kinds of microphones for singing and live broadcast with a professional audio equipment, and it is good for you to consult clearly before purchasing. If there are no other specific requirements, then you can choose one with ordinary reverberation and no noise. Microphones for different occasions can be selected as follows:
Professional recording microphone
Key points for purchase: It is suggested to choose one with high-quality and suitable for voices of people, and condenser microphone can provide clearer and more stable tunes quality, being suitable for professional recording.
Price range: ￥3,000-￥12,000
Microphone for karaoke
Key points for purchase: It’s better to choose a wireless microphone with good sound effect and smooth sound; if the utilization rate is high, choose a microphone with a high price and good quality; a cardioid or super-cardioid microphone is more suitable.
Price range: ￥500-￥1,500
Microphone for live broadcast
Key points for purchase: You need to choose a microphone with less delay, a wide range of pickup, high sensitivity and good sound quality. The condenser microphone can record more overtone elements and details, which is suitable for live broadcast.
Price range: ￥100-￥1,000
Key points for purchase: There are fixed bracket microphones, gooseneck microphones and omnidirectional microphones. The most important aspect in terms of performance is to have the functions of anti-echo howling, strong scalability.
Price range: ￥200-￥1,600
Voice game microphone
Key points for purchase: A microphone with good performance, clear sound quality, anti-noise ability, and adjustable voice volume meets the requirements.
Price range: ￥50-￥150
Buy microphones according to technical indicators
Wired or Wireless
he wireless microphone is easy to operate and very convenient to use, while the wired one usually is limited by a certain distance and and should be chosen with taking the length into consideration. Sometimes it is inconvenient to use, and it needs to be carefully considered when purchasing.
The directivity of microphone
The directivity of microphone refers to the sensitivity mode of the microphone to the sound from all directions, which is an important indication for purchasing a microphone. Generally, microphones are divided into omnidirectional microphones,unidirectional microphones, cardioid-directional microphones, and bidirectional microphones.
Omnidirectional microphone: It is also known as non-directional microphone and this kind of microphone can pick up sounds from all directions, and is equally sensitive to sounds from all directions. This microphone is suitable for conferences or speeches when you need to collect simple voices of many people.
Cardioid-directional microphone: This type of microphone can record sound in front, with a small expansion range on both sides. It is mainly suitable for voice work such as podcasting, personal singing and musical instrument pickup.
Supercardioid-directional microphone: It can pick up the sound in the far front, but rarely pick up the sound from both side. It is ideal for stage use, reducing sounds from other nearby instruments in multi-instrument multi-track recordings.
Shotgun microphone: It is a type of microphone that aims to record sound from a single direction to the limit with the optimum sound-receiving angle being the small cone-shaped area in front of it. It is mainly used outdoors, for example you can use it to record sound of outdoor news interviews and television location shooting.
③How to set the computer microphone
How to connect the microphone to the computer
Microphones which require drive：
- 1.Connect the microphone to the computer correctly. (Some microphones can be directly connected to a laptop via a USB socket with amicrophone charging cable)
- 2.Right-click the “computer”on the desktop of the computer withthe WN10 system, then choose “property”, and then click on "Device Manager" in the left sidebar of the page.
3.Click the “Audio Input and Output", select "Microphone”, and right-click "Update Drivers". (Some microphones do not need to be driven).
- 4.Click "Start"and select "Privacy" in settings,then select "Microphone", and click "Allow apps to access your microphone",
- 5.Right-click the small “Speaker”at the lowerright corner of the desktop, select “Sound”, click “Record”, and right-click to disable the far and middle stereo mix.
- 6.Right-click “microphone’againand select “Properties", select the level, and adjust the microphone volume to the maximum.
Connect the wireless bluetooth microphone to the computer: open the wireless bluetooth microphone ------ click the “Control Panel” on the computer------ select “Hardware and Sound”------“add the device”------search for bluetooth on the laptop------ click” OK”.
Microphones not requiring drive:Some microphones can directly connect ,with a charging cable, to the computer through the USB interface, without installing drive.
How to connect microphone to the mobile phone
Wireless microphone: turn on the power of the wireless microphone and then the Bluetooth of the mobile phone, find the microphone device to be connected, and click the name to connect (as shown in the diagram above).
Wired microphone: insert the plugs of the microphone and earphone into the microphone and earphone jacks of the adapter cable respectively, and plug the other end of the adapter into the mobile phone. If there is an independent sound card, plug the microphone and earphone into the sound card through a cable with 3.5mm plugs at both ends, with one end into the sound card, and the other into the mobile phone.
How to connect the wireless microphone to stereo
- 1.Plug the wireless microphone receiver into the computer's sound card or independent sound card, and connect the sound boxto the speaker output of the computer or independent sound card.
- 2.Connect the receiver of the wireless microphone the microphone jack of thesound box or power amplifier.
- 3.Selectthe karaoke function of the stereo, then switch on the microphone, adjust the volume of the microphone, and you can use it.
④Breakdown maintenance of microphone
What to do if the computer microphone has no sound
- 1.First check whether the microphone is muted: search for "Sound" in the control panel. Switch to the "Sound" option, select the microphone, right-click to see if the microphone is being disabled. If so, just cancel it and it will return to normal.
- 2.Choose the sound option in the control panel, enter the “Sound”dialogue box, switch to the “Recording” tab, and double-click the “Microphone” option or Right-click the “Property”. Then switch to the “Levels” tab, turn up the volume of “Microphone” and “Microphone Boost”, and click the “OK” button to make it take effect. (NOTE: The echo will be loud if the volume of Mic Boost is too high.)
3.Check whether the microphone functions well. Click "record", then the button with "dot" to start recording, then speak into the microphone. If the green horizontal line does not fluctuate, it means the microphone or the sound card doesn’t work. If it is found that the microphone does not work properly through the test, you can try connecting the microphone to another computer. If it still does not work, you need to change the microphone. If it works, it means that there is a problem with the computer sound card drive or sound card hardware.【More solutions>>】
How to deal with the microphone noise
- 1.There may be something wrong with the sound quality of the music. You can stop listening to the sound first, and then choose another piece of music to check if there is still any noise.
- 2.Hardware failure. Check whether the microphone is intact or not, whether any foreign matter have fallen into it, whether the edge of the vibration paper has been peeled off or damaged. If so, the microphone needs to be repaired or replaced.
- 3.The AC component is too large possibly because of the fault of the filter circuit of the power of the sound box, especially the filter capacitor. Another possible reason is the problem of power supply, causing the current sound, which is a normal phenomenon.
- 4.There is a problem with the connection between the microphone and the computer host. Disconnect the microphone from the computer host , then reconnect it appropriately and check for poor contact. This problem may happen when the microphone is in an “Microphone boost”state, just deselect it.
- 5.Check whether there are magnetic fields or objects with sound waves, such as mobile phones, fans. If so, just take the electrical equipment with magnetic fields away.【Details>>】
low microphone sound >>] [Omnidirectional microphone sound is very loud >>] [Line microphone new sound / noise >>